There are literally hundreds of uses for essential oils and essential oils diffusers. They can be used to prevent illness (flus, colds, coughs, and more), help you breathe easier, clear the air, cleaning, air freshener, help you relax, lift your mood, help with insomnia, and so much more!
With so many options available, it can get overwhelming to choose which are the best essential oils diffusers for your home.
The answer lies in what you want to get from the essential oils. Are you looking for a humidifier, therapeutic benefits or do you just want a natural, organic way to freshen up your home?
Even if you do just want them for their scents, essential oils are much better for you then the typical scented candles you can purchase at your local grocery store.
You probably didn’t know that prolonged use of scented candles, plug-in air fresheners, and other air fresheners can cause quite a bit of damage to your lungs and body.
This is because most scented candles contain chemical toxins that are released into the air as the candle burns. Breathing these toxins in can cause severe damage to your lungs, brain, and more.
Unless you purposely purchase scented candles without these toxins, it’s likely every candle you have in your home has them. When I discovered just how bad scented candles are for my kids and I, I felt sick.
I don’t use them that often but I did still use them up until I realized how bad they are for you! I went through my home and just threw them all out. Now I stick with essential oils. They smell better anyway and provide endless benefits.
Do Essential Oils Really Work
People ask all the time if essential oils really work. I myself never really believed they did and
didn’t use essential oils in my home until a couple weeks before my last son was born.
Before then I’d always been skeptical about the benefits they can really provide and felt like they offered more of a placebo effect.
However, I got quite sick a couple weeks before my son was born and literally nothing worked until I turned to essential oils. It was incredible how much they helped me and how much of a difference they made.
Since then, I use them wherever I can in my home and have seen numerous benefits for my kids and I. To read more about my experiences with them, see my post here.
Below is a chart showing some great uses for some of these oils.
The Best Place to Buy Essential Oils
I know dozens of people who swear by essential oils, and, I never thought I’d say it, but I’ve become one of them!
I’m very happy with the results I’ve gotten and would recommend them to anybody. My favorite place to get them is Mountain Rose Herbs because they sell only organic oils that are very reasonably priced. Most of their oils sell for at least a third of the price you’ll get from other distributors.
See the great selection of organic essential oils at Mountain Rose Herbs here.
Diffusers are A Healthier Alternative to Air Fresheners
Essential oils are a safer, healthier alternative that have numerous healing properties through aromatherapy if they’re used in the right type of diffuser. As it’s name suggests, an essential oils
diffuser is used to disperse/diffuse essential oils in a constant stream throughout a room.
These oils saturate the air and are absorbed through your skin, in your lungs, and more to provide countless benefits to your body.
As you choose what the best essential oils diffusers for your home are, you should first consider what you want from your diffuser. There are four main types and each one has it’s own pros and cons.
Depending on your specific needs, you should choose a nebulizer, ultrasonic, evaporative, or heat diffuser.
If you’re looking for an essential oils diffuser that will give the greatest therapeutic benefits, you’re going to want a nebulizing diffuser or an ultrasonic/humidifying diffuser.
Evaporative and heat diffusers compromise the potential therapeutic benefits you can get because the essential oils are split up the molecules so you aren’t getting the full concentrated
These diffusers work very similar to the same way a perfume atomizer works. They distribute the oils throughout the room in a fine spray of smaller droplets with the whole oils.
These don’t need to be running constantly to provide their therapeutic benefits and can be overwhelming if they are. They work very quickly in dispersing the oils into the air in smaller particles so you’d actually be better off buying one that has a built in timer so that it only runs 10-15 minutes an hour. This will help so the essential oils don’t run out as quickly.
- Works quickly in putting uncompromised oil particles into the air
- Doesn’t take away from the oils therapeutic effects.
- Has a steady stream of oils being diffused into the air
- Great for filling up big rooms
- Many come with timers so that they only run a few minutes every hour and the oils aren’t wasted
- Typically pretty noisy, more so than other types of diffusers
- Oil runs out faster because it isn’t mixed with anything.
- Higher Maintenance, most of them will need to be cleaned periodically
- If anything is mixed with the oil, it can ruin the diffuser.
- Generally more expensive than other types
- Fewer options to choose from
My Favorite Options
|Raindrop Aromatherapy Nebulizer||Nebulizing Essential Aromatherapy Diffuser|
|Advanced Aromatherapy Essential Oil Nebulizing Diffuser||Nebulizing Diffuser|
Ultrasonic/Humidifying Diffusers (My Top Pick)
These diffusers are by far my favorite and the kind I see most often! They really do work great and I love mine! Like the nebulizing diffusers, they saturate the air with a fine mist but they do so differently than the nebulizing diffuser. An ultrasonic diffuser uses electronic frequencies to vibrate a liquid the oils have been added to (usually water).
These vibrations break the oil into smaller, uncompromised particles than the nebulizers do and these particles are distributed into the air. The tinier particles are easier for your lungs and body to absorb thus providing greater therapeutic benefits.
- No heat is used at all so the oil is not compromised
- Doubles as a humidifier for relieving coughs, colds, ear infections and more
- These are usually fairly cheap and work great!
- Therapeutic benefits aren’t diminished as the oils are dispersed.
- Oils last longer because only a few droplets are added to the water.
- Though looks don’t affect how they function, these generally look more like beautiful home decor. See some of the great options I’ve listed below.
- Mixed with water so the concentration of the oils in the air is not near as much as the nebulizing diffusers.
- Doesn’t have a constant air supply to distribute oils so it’s harder to fill a large room. It depends on the air flow in the room to disperse the oils.
- Typically only run for a couple hours before needing to be refilled (still uses much less oils though so it makes up for it!)
My Favorite Options
|Urpower Aromatherapy Ultrasonic/Humidfier||Pure Spa Natural Aromatherapy Diffuser|
(The one I currently own)
These basic diffusers use a fan to blow air from the room through a pad/filter that has essential oils in it. This air causes the essential oils to evaporate faster than they normally would and gets the scent into the room pretty quickly. The downside is because the oil evaporates the components are separated and you’re not getting the whole oils or the ideal therapeutic benefits that you could be getting with a nebulizer or ultrasonic diffuser.
- Works well to disperse essential oils scent throughout the room
- Fairly quiet
- Can be worn in a necklace, bracelet or other piece of jewelry to carry the scent with you
- Usually fairly cheap
- Evaporates the oil thus changing its genetic makeup
- Therapeutic benefits are greatly diminished when the oil is evaporated
My Favorite Options
|Essential Diffuser Necklace||Green Air USB Aroma Diffuser
These diffusers also cause the essential oils to evaporate faster than they normally would. They use varying levels of heat to disperse the scent of the oils throughout the room. The best heat diffusers will use low heat and have a more subtle scent because if too much heat is used it changes the composition of the oils and takes away many of the therapeutic benefits they can provide.
Works well to disperse essential oils scent throughout the room
Evaporates the oil thus changing its composition
Doesn’t give the full therapeutic benefits
My Favorite Options:
|Ceramic Diffuser||Soapstone Diffuser Leaf
Do you have any essential oils diffusers that you prefer? What do you think of the ones I’ve listed here? Let me know by leaving a comment below!
Thank you for reading!